Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentis. This is a ricotta cheese and rice based dessert and a seasonal favorite in our house around the Easter holiday.
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar plus extra for garnish
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 15 oz container of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked short-grained rice
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 6 sheets phylio dough (fresh or frozen/thawed)
- 3/4 stick (3 oz) unsalted melted butter
Blend sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange zest and ricotta in food processor till smooth. Stir in rice and pine nuts. Set aside.
Lightly butter a 9″ square or round glass pie dish. Lay 1 phylio sheet over the bottom and up the sides of dish allowing it to hang over sides. Brush phylio with melted butter and top with second sheet laying in opposite direction. Continue laying sheets in alternate directions and buttering each. Spoon ricotta/rice mixture into dish and fold overhanging dough over mixture to cover filling. Brush with melted butter.
Bake pie in pre-heated 375F oven until phylio is golden brown (approx 30 mins). Remove from oven and cool. Sift powdered sugar over top and serve.